Dr Samantha Pillay is a Urological Surgeon. A 1992 graduate of the University of Adelaide Medical School, Dr Pillay became the first woman to complete surgical training in Adult Urology in South Australia.
Samantha was driven to improve incontinence treatment for men and women, providing specialised services, bringing the best treatments available to South Australians.
She undertook further training in the sub-specialty of Female Urology and Neurourology in Melbourne and worked in Christchurch, New Zealand before returning to Adelaide to start Continence Matters, becoming the first urologist to exclusively sub-specialise in Female Urology, Neuro-Urology, Functional and Reconstructive Surgery. (She is not a urogynaecologist and for clarification on these semantics please read the position statement from the Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand.) She treats patients from age 16 and up.
She served as the Chair of the Female Urology Special Advisory Group for the Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand from February 2007 to June 2013 and the President of the South Australian branch of the Continence Foundation of Australia from February 2011 to November 2014.
At Continence Matters, located within Calvary Hospital North Adelaide she provides;
- Comprehensive evaluation with Fluoroscopic Urodynamics.
- Specialist Urology Assessment of all male and female bladder and voiding problems, incontinence and prolapse.
- Management of complex incontinence cases including complications from or failed previous surgery and complications from mesh slings.
- Surgical and Non-Surgical Treatment Options.
- Autologous fascial slings (no mesh) for surgical treatment for Stress Urinary Incontinence. She is also able to discuss other treatment options including injectable urethral bulking agents and the pros and cons of mesh mid-urethral slings (tapes).
- Surgical treatment options for Overactive Bladder including onaBotulinumtoxinA (Botox) injections and sacral neuromodulation.
She currently holds specialist medical registration with the Medical Board of South Australia and is a member of;
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ)
- Female Urology Special Advisory Group, (FUSAG - Past Chair)
- American Urological Association (AUA)
- Continence Foundation of Australia (Past SA President)
- International Continence Society (ICS)
- Society of Women in Urology
- Interstitial Cystitis Association
- Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (SUFU)
She has served on Advisory Boards and worked as a consultant for Medical Industry including; Allergan, Astellas, Ferring, and Medtronic.
She has previously served as a Board Member on;
- Australian Medical Association (AMA) SA
- Australia and New Zealand Board of Urology
- Continence Foundation of Australia
- Curriculum Review Committee for the Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand
Dr Pillay’s goals are;
- To bring care and treatment to men and women with disabling bladder conditions.
- To build acceptance and understanding of these conditions by the wider community.
- To provide surgical training, mentorship and promotion of the field of Female Urology.
- To provide health education to the community and other health professionals.View the online video lesson Continence Course for Health Professionals.
- To promote women’s health issues.
- To support women as leaders.
- To support programmes that help to empower women around the world.
Samantha enjoys cooking, gardening, exercising, teaching and public speaking but her greatest passion is being a mum. She is an International No1 best-selling author of The No Recipe Cookbook. and the Inspirational Careers for Kids picture book series.