These are used;
- To stretch the vagina
- To stop it narrowing down again after surgery to open up the vagina (vaginoplasty).
- In patients with difficulty relaxing the vagina or pain with intercourse
Dilators can be purchased from McNeil’s Surgical Supplies, Magill Road, Stepney.
They usually come in sizes 1 – 6.
It takes 3 months or longer to get results.
Initially you will need to use the dilators 1 – 2 times a day.
Once the desired results are achieved they can be used less frequently.
Instructions for use:
- Find a private space.
- Start with the size dilator that is easy to insert.
- Apply KY jelly to the tip to lubricate.
- Gently insert as far as possible.
- The dilator only needs to remain in place for about 3 minutes.
- Once the dilator can be easily and comfortably inserted you can progress to the next size up.
- Clean with soap and water and dry between uses.
Dilators are easier to insert if you are relaxed.
A small amount of bleeding can occur if the vagina is stretched
Version: V2, July 2013